Bob Reis POB 26303 Raleigh NC 27611 USA
phone: (919) 787-0881 (8:30AM-10:30PM EST only please)
how to order
6/2/08 - because of the unusual situations with
the bullion markets and the USA dollar exchange rate everything
(11/16/2008) you should consider ALL of my posted prices to be provisional.
There may be changes in any category. This notice will be posted
on a few other pages but not all. But this is your official notice.
(Renewed 1/4/2010 - this is what low level chaos feels like.)
(6/8/2010 chaos continues to build. Think before you act. Think
before you think. Observe before that. Remember to breathe.)
so here we are living history. How long has this crisis been going
on? 3 years? 11? 40? 65?
This aviso renewed again 4/10/2011. It hasn't been this eventful since the 60s. And again 10/6/2011. 5 years of financial crisis.
And again 2/26/2012. And of course 8/3/2012. May 26 2013: gold & silver were up, now they're down, there are still prices in my coins inventories that are too low, but probably also some that are too high. I update this notice occasionally, and do so again 7/4/2014. Over time the situation remains volatile. At the moment raw numbers are down.
4/29/2016 So we see we have been living in an unsettled situation for over 15 years now. Interesting times.
12/21/2016 And the unsettled conditions have continued, have become, as it were, normal.
December 2016 pricelist
17,000 other things for sale
New (if the background of this page is a different color than last time you looked there is new stuff) - update 1/2/2017
note on viewing pictures
What's It Worth? - numismatic estate handling for live collectors & executors
Attribution, authentication, grading, and appraisal services
Links - friends, colleagues
1/2/2017 The color of our incoming president's spray tan.
1. OK, EVERYONE HAPPY NOW?
2. I CAN ACTUALLY SYMPATHIZE WITH the big orange baby. I don't want to play by the rules either. But you spend your life figuring out how to get around the rules you break things & make a lot of mistakes. For me the most important line in the smutty bus video was him saying "I can't help myself." We all want to go "the Hell with it" and just do it, don't we? But is that a way to run a country?
3. I DIDN'T REALLY GET COMFORTABLE with failure until I started studying a martial art at age 58. Failure is normal in that course of study. First you learn how to do it wrong, then gradually you start to learn how to not do it wrong. But if you live by your public promise to never be wrong you've kind of foreclosed on your possibilities for success, eh wot?
4. I HIRED SOME (young) people to update my website & it developed that perhaps they had the tech skills but they lacked project manager skills so the project evaporated and I supported a few young people for a short while while they threw code up in the air. In the "exit interview" the default PM made excuses and refused to consider giving back some of the money in the future, when perhaps solvency would be in the picture. But that's not my point. As he was defensively lashing out he mentioned that he "lost out" on a job when the interviewer looked at my home page and picked out the words "conspiracy theories," which perhaps you might recall I had made a humorous list of few months back. Controversial, he didn't get the job "because of that.." I was 1) what kind of nitwit interviewer would go off on buzz words, you want to work for that company?, 2) serves you right for using my antique website as part of your portfolio when you hadn't done anything for me except lighten my bank account. Feh.
5. This list has a lot of cheap coins that I either haven't had in years or have never had. Just turned out that way.
1. WHAT DO good experiences and bad experiences have in common? They are both experiences.
2. HOW did we get here? We say we don't know but we all saw it happen.
3. HAVE YOU ever edited video? Takes not a little bit of time Experts can zip through it but it still takes time.
4. I HAVE FOUND myself on both sides of many dichotomies, occasionally at the same time. I have been in rooms where I was the only supporter of my position.
5. THERE IS the long tradition of dancing on the corpses of the conquered enemy. There are expansive feelings associated with victory. The victors exalt. The vanquished abase. The abasement of the vanquished is somehow a necessary component of the victory celebration. I think we get this from our predator origins. The victims' struggles and blood make the meal more satisfying. I think Asoka got it better. After his last victory, observing the dead in the field, he went into mourning and decided not to do that again.
6. FACEBOOK can be used as a kind of graphic display of sectarian mood if one has a broad enough range of "friends." Of late I've seen quite a bit of victim blaming and "who, me?-ism" amongst friends who think of themselves as "white." Noticeable increase lately. Amongst people for whom "blackness" is major concern a tired, mournful feeling of internal solidarity without much in the way of searching for allies. A similar dynamic seen between Indian and Pakistani "friends." Between Hindus and Muslims there seems to be not much reaching across the wall. In China there is apparently a growing movement against animal cruelty, perhaps meaning that that kind of awareness is growing from 0.001% to 0.002% but, you know, something.
7. SAME kind of disinterest in solidarity at a recent state Democratic Party business meeting I went to. I seem to always look for things that aren't being attended to.
8. THEN immediately after writing a picture emerges of 2 men, one holds a Pakistan flag, the other an India flag, kissing in public at a demonstration, probably in USA, land of the freedom of speech.
1. CONSPIRACY THEORY: the failed Turkish military coup was a black op by "someone," designed to fail & increase the power of the president.
2. CONSPIRACY THEORY: "Black Lives Matter" is "behind" cop shootings.
3. CONSPIRACY THEORY: Nice in France an ISIS plot or not. Orlando an ISIS plot or not. ISIS is a CIA/Israel plot. Every mass shooting since Columbine was a false flag operation to promote gun control using the same disaster actors again and again.
4. CONSPIRACY THEORY: 9/11 a CIA plot (restrict civil liberties), a neocon plot (more war, more military contracts), a Jewish plot (insurance scam), a Saudi plot (religious fanaticism)
5. CONSPIRACY THEORY: "the" KKK has been infiltrating local police departments for 100 years. "The" religious right has been infiltrating the Air Force. "The" liberals "control "the" media. "Wall Street" controls "everything." All local governments are controlled by real estate interests.
6. CONSPIRACY THEORY: Trump and the Clintons have a deal: he throws the election to Hillary, gets plenty money.
7. CONSPIRACY THEORY: my local Democratic party had an election in which every officer was elected without opposition by acclamation. Seemed unlikely but I was there. I was involved enough to be able to be certain that there was no conspiracy. Would have been impossible to keep a secret.
8. KEEPING SECRETS when lots of people are involved is really hard to do.
9. I THINK: a lot of people prefer to be scared, even more hope for simple answers, so-called "leaders" present their puffed up selves as answerers. We really need competent administrators but we are offered people who can speak well in public. It is not a conspiracy, it is a situation with many interested parties trying to gain advantage.
1. POSTAL RATES have changed. Big jump in international, domestic not so bad. For domestic shipping either priority or first class is still the best bet for getting stuff delivered quickly. In this business so far no one is offering free shipping programs like Amazon, whose free shipping program is really a pre-paid shipping program. But you who have been working with me for a while know that I often partially subsidize the shipping & occasionally give a freebie. When I feel like it.
2. LOSSES IN TRANSIT - client in one country reports that 2 sendings in succession did not arrive. That appears to be a problem. Something will have to be done. Another kind of problem is I sold some of those fragile spade coins last list & a customer reported arrived broken. I doubt it, I knew they were fragile & packed them accordingly, but my policy is everyone gets one chance. This other guy in Singapore though, claimed it never arrived, forced a paypal refund, then the box came back opened, the spade removed from its protection, broken, thrown back in the box, PO sticker RETURN TO SENDER. He's not my customer any more, though he has not been so notified. Want to see if he tries to order something again. Eventually I'll out him to the world as a turtle egg.
But seriously, if you want guaranteed, full indemnity, fully insured international shipment the paperwork will have to be perfect and if will cost real money.
3. HAD ENOUGH OF BAD TASTING POLITICS YET? Do yourself a favor, check out your local candidates: the real estate sharks, hired guns, clueless egotists, blank screen stuffed shirts, deluded ideologues, monomaniacs, maybe there's a good one in that ballot somewhere, but how will you know if you don't do your own research? I was talking with a local guy who had been a judge, we elect em here. "I did traffic all day long, maybe a bit of burglary & so forth. What difference does my opinion of abortion make to my job? But that's all anyone ever asked me when I was campaigning."
2. AND MY WIFE is beginning to see that having different names on different legal documents is getting to be more of an issue these days. Straightening that out sooner rather than later is probably a good idea. Just saying.
1. SHAKEOUT IN THE BUSINESS? I pay more attention to the Asian coin market than to the USA/Europe sector. There is a general "settling" of price levels in Chinese stuff, except at the top of course, which I don't work in. I've seen interesting stuff come on the market as upper-middle class collectors can't afford their kids' tuition & have too dump some of their goodies at a loss. The Chinese market has not "broken" however. Neither has the Indian market, though probably all of the lemming collector sector has disappeared. All in all an OK situation for business & pleasure, assuming you have some disposable income, which, generally, fewer people do than, say, 10 years ago. And I can't say I've run into any "young numismatists" here where I live, though there are plenty living in other countries.
2. LOSSES IN TRANSIT last year were approximately at the same rate as usual: about 4 per 1000 packages, evenly split between USA and non-USA addresses. Locations seem random. No trends have become obvious.
3. 1. ALL OF THE FALSE STUFF being thrown at Hillary does not stick & will not stop her from winning if that is what she does. The problem with the wrongwing is that they don't care whether something is true or not, they just like to throw stuff. If they want to stop Hillary they need facts. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Unfortunately for them all of the potentially anti-Hillary facts have left implications and generally discredit wrongwing narratives.
2. WIFE & I were watching the debate on tape & noticing how conspicuously they were stiffing O'Malley. Putting on our moderate hats for a moment we found O'Malley to be nicely put together, presidential looking, wellspoken, cogent, smart, all that good stuff, as opposed to Hillary, who has some, you know, issues, and Bernie, who has some too. We found ourselves asking each other how come O'Malley gets nothing & doesn't have a chance. Its as if the times demand a little bit of crazy. Solid/bland doesn't cut the butter.
More opinions - 100s of thousands of words!